ORIGIN : Japan.
DATE OF PUBLICATION OF THE OFFICIAL VALID STANDARD : 13.03.2001.
UTILIZATION : Companion dog.
Group 5 Spitz and primitive type. Section 5 Asian Spitz and related breeds. Without working trial.
GENERAL APPEARANCE :
Large-sized dog, sturdily built, well balanced and with much substance ; secondary sex characteristics strongly marked, with high nobility and dignity in modesty ; constitution tough.
IMPORTANT PROPORTIONS : The ratio of height at withers to length of body ( from the point of the shoulders to the point of the buttock) is 10 : 11, but the body is slightly longer in bitches than in dogs.
BEHAVIOUR AND TEMPERAMENT :
The temperament is composed, faithful, docile and receptive.
HEAD CRANIAL REGION :
- Skull : The size is in proportion to the body. The forehead is broad, with distinct furrow. No wrinkles.
- Stop : Defined.
FACIAL REGION :
- Nose : Large and black. Slight and diffuse lack of pigment accepted in white dogs only, but black is always preferred.
- Muzzle : Moderately long and strong with broad base, tapering but not pointed. Nasal bridge straight.
- Jaws/Teeth : Teeth strong with scissor bite.
- Lips : Tight.
- Cheeks : Moderately developed.
- Eyes : Relatively small, almost triangular in shape due to the rising of the outer eye corner, set moderately apart, dark brown : the darker, the better.
- Ears : Relatively small, thick, triangular, slightly rounded at tips, set moderately apart, pricked and inclining forward.
Thick and muscular, without dewlap, in balance with head.
- Back : Straight and strong. Loin : Broad and muscular.
- Chest : Deep, forechest well developed, ribs moderately well sprung.
- Belly : Well drawn up.
Set on high, thick, carried vigorously curled over back ; the tip nearly reaching hocks when let down.
LIMBS FOREQUARTERS :
- Shoulders : Moderately sloping and developed.
- Elbows : Tight.
- Forearms : Straight and heavy-boned.
General appearance : Well developed, strong and moderately angulated.
Thick, round, arched and tight.
Resilient and powerful movement.
COAT HAIR :
Outer coat harsh and straight, undercoat soft and dense ; the withers and the rump are covered with slightly longer hair ; the hair on tail is longer than on the rest of the body.
- Red fawn,
- Sesame (red fawn hairs with black tips),
All the above mentioned colours except white must have « urajiro ». (Urajiro = whitish coat on the sides of the muzzle, on the cheeks, on the underside of jaw, neck, chest, body and tail and on the inside of the legs).
Height at the withers : Dogs : 67 cm, bitches : 61 cm. There is a tolerance of 3 cm more or less.
Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.
- Bitchy dogs / doggy bitches.
- Undershot or overshot mouth.
- Missing teeth.
- Blue or black spotted tongue.
- Iris light in colour.
- Short tail.
DISQUALIFYING FAULTS :
- Aggressive or overly shy dogs.
- Any dog clearly showing physical or behavioural abnormalities shall be disqualified.
- Ears not pricked.
- Hanging tail.
- Long hair (shaggy).
- Black mask.
- Markings on white ground.
N.B.: • Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.
Only functionally and clinically healthy dogs, with breed typical conformation should be used for breeding.